photo about_zps9b9a046a.png  photo before_zps57f47fad.png  photo Untitled_zps486d62b9.png  photo recipes_zps93a1c386.png  photo tutorials_zps7aa74d09.png

March 24, 2015

We Need A New Kitchen Table

Hello!  We own a lot of Ikea furniture.  From the shelving in the family room to Hadley's little bed.  And I have never encountered a major issue....for the price you pay perfection isn't always expected but the things we have purchased have held up incredibly well and we've been happy with them.  Except for the kitchen table.  Oh the kitchen table, the one I ran out and bought at an Ikea that was 45 minutes from our house a month after Hadley was born to prove to myself that I could still do things with two kids in tow.  I even called Scott after I got home - soooo proud of myself.  Well that table was a good idea at the time.  We hadn't even moved in our house yet but we knew from the limited space in the kitchen that a round table that extended would make the most sense.  Enter the Ikea Liatorp table for $249.  Looks like this table has since been replaced with this one for $100 more - lets hope its been improved.

Here is what the table looked like when I bought almost 4 years ago.
 
Here is in the kitchen after we moved in.

 
Once we moved and the table was set up it was fine.  That was until someone drops a fork and suddenly there is a small "ding" in the table.  Then someone spills water.  Well the mixture of exposed Particleboard (fake wood) and liquid causes swelling which caused paint to chip off.  We sealed the spots as soon as they happened but it was no use - one would turn into five within a few days. 
 

 
 
And here are the bumps and swells that have taken over.

 
When this first started happening I tried covering them with waterproof decals - but that made it look even worse plus with two little girls the table never stayed clean which meant the decals never stayed stuck.  Then I had a better idea. Cover the whole thing! I sanded down the entire table, repainted it white and applied a food safe sealer.  Once that dried I applied an adhesive and put this gorgeous fabric over the two sections of the table and then sealed that with four coats of polyurethane.  This process was annoying since the sealer smelled and it all needed at least a week to "cure" I did everything in the garage.
 
The end result was really pretty and a big improvement.
This solution was great for about 3 or 4 months but then the edges of the fabric started to curl and fray and the swelling came back in the middle of the table where the split was.
 
 
Lovely right?
So after all that hard work I decided to just cover the table with tablecloths - I bought two from Target and one is always in the wash so they are nice and faded now: ) 
 
All of this has lead me to start looking for a new table, one that will hopefully withstand everything our family can dish out.  Below are a few that I am considering.  Until then I might need to pick up a few new tablecloths!
 

 
Crate and Barrel.
 
 
Overstock.
 
Pottery Barn.
See you tomorrow!!
 
 
 
 

Pin It

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...